Welcome to this month’s GPS Training podcast, it’s our 10th episode.
1. Today we have Andy and myself, Jon
As always, we are streaming it live on Facebook
So if you want to see what we all look like take a look at our Facebook page –
1. Just search for GPS Training on Facebook and don’t forget to ‘like’ our page.
So, without further ado let’s get on with today’s podcast ……
In today’s podcast we are going to look at the following –
1. We have an interview with Duncan Hutchison, the Scottish guy who has built his own boat and is rowing across the Atlantic, a great story.
2. I know we covered it in last months Podcast but we again chat over the Garmin inReach mini, as we can’t keep them in stock!
3. We look at the new Spot X – 2-way satellite messenger. Not yet available in the UK but is in the US
4. Andy’s top tips – both SatMap and Garmin
5. Some new videos and free webinar
Earlier this week I spoke to Duncan Hutchinson and talked through his epic journey so far on his cross Atlantic adventure.
I am not going to ruin the interview so here we go
Track Duncan live (via a Garmin inReach) – here
And keep your eyes open for the GPS Training logo on his boat
2 – inReach Mini
1. What a response we have had to the inReach Mini.
2. I know we covered this in depth in last month’s Podcast but quickly Andy can you give a quick overview of what the inReach is?
3. Early next week there will be a software update so you can control it from your Fenix 5/ 5x watch, currently this is just beta but full version will be out next week, I know we have been selling many alongside Fenix watches what are the benefits of this?
4. We seem to keep the black ones in stock (just about) but the orange ones now have a delivery date of the 19th June and we have a waiting list and I must add we are also on that waiting list as we are going to keep one so we can do some videos and step by step guides for the online resource.
If you want to find out more about this and all the Garmin inreach products go to – GPS Training.co.uk – click on GPS Store – and click on Garmin inReach – satellite communicators on the left hand side
3 – The new Spot X – 2-Way Satellite Messenger
1. This is the first ‘two way’ communicator from Spot, it’s currently just available in the states but it will be hitting the UK market in TBC
2. Have you seen it Andy, I could not even find anything on YouTube which is amazing seeing you can buy it in the states already?
3. Looking at pictures of it, it seems very similar than the inReach mini but it has a full QWERT keyboard, it reminds me of my old Blackberry phone, do you remember this good old days?
4. Globalstar not the Iridium that Garmin inReach products use – Low orbit system
5. Some people are mentioning in their reviews – Globalstar system would only accept ONE message every twenty to thirty minutes
6. After being excited about this product it has become a letdown due to what I initially thought was poor reliability. Now after more testing and talking with tech support, the culprit is the fault of a system limitation that Spot fails to tell people. Perhaps Spot thinks it’s customers just don’t care about this issue.
4 – Andy’s top tips
· Garmin –
· SatMap –
5. New videos we have been adding to the website
This past month we have had a work experience student with us, Robin, and we have produced some great new videos, even if I say so myself.
1. How to subscribe to the podcast on both an Android/ iPhone – watch it here
2. An Introduction to Outdoor GPS navigation – watch it here
3. The 10 most asked questions people ask before buying an outdoor GPS unit – watch it here
4. And one promoting our ‘new’ free webinar we have on Tuesday evening for those people who are Interested in finding out more about outdoor GPS units and navigation – watch it here
All these you will find in the ‘news’ section on GPS Training, so just go to GPS Training.co.uk and click on ‘news’ and you will see them all there.
Andy, you also did three videos with Robin, these were –
1. Garmin inReach Mini unboxing – watch it here
2. We looked at the size, weight and control functions of the Garmin handheld GPS devices – watch it here
3. We look at the size, weight and control options of the SatMap active 12 and 20 – watch it here
5. To finish off podcast number 10
– Many thanks for listening and let us know anything you would like to be covered in the Podcast, we made it to out tenth Podcast, a good milestone to hit.
– Give us a call especially if you are thinking of a new GPS unit
– Please do look a look at both our physical GPS courses and also our webinars, just go to GPSTaining.co.uk and click on – GPS Training courses
– Please do tell your friends about the podcast and GPS Training
– Don’t forget you can watch us recording the podcast on our facebook page – gpstraininguk – or on our YouTube Channel – GPSTraining
– AND don’t forget to RST our podcast –
R – Rate our Podcast on iTunes
S – Subscribe to our Podcast on whatever platform you listen to us on
and – T – tell a friend about both GPS Training and the GPS Training Podcast, please help us spread the word.
Many thanks for Andy joining me on this, the 10th episode of our GPS Training podcast.