Welcome to this month’s GPS Training podcast, it’s our 13th episode.
As always, we are streaming it live on Facebook
So if you want to see what we all look like take a look at our Facebook page –
1. Just search for GPS Training on Facebook and don’t forget to ‘like’ our page.
So, without further ado let’s get on with today’s podcast ……
It’s our 13th podcast, hopefully, it is not an unlucky one.
In today’s podcast we are going to look at the following –
1. We talk over the big news from Garmin, the launch of the Garmin GPSMAP66s
2. We have an interview with Mark from Mountain rescue
3. We have Andy’s top tips – both Garmin and SatMap
4. And then finally we are having another GPS Training podcast competition, this time it is for SatMap users
1. Garmin’s GPSMAP66s – at last!
Last week Garmin announce the launch date, the 15th October, for the long-awaited update for the GPSMAP64s.
I had my hands on a pre-production model back in July and we have two days with Garmin and a GPSMAP66s at the end of the month so we will be able to give it a full review in next months podcast, but before then Andy what are the headlines of this new unit from Garmin and what are the differences compared to the GPSMAP64s?
What’s new with this unit compared to the already very popular GPSMap64s?
– Larger 3” Screen with 200 x 400 Pixels
– For improved Satellite lock the ability to now pick up the European Galileo Satellite system as well as GPS & Glonass
– Free Access to download Satellite images to the device using Wifi with no annual subscription
– Live Weather updates & Animated Weather Radar display – When Paired to a compatible Smartphone
– Live Geocaching – using either Wifi or paired to a compatible Smart phone to download Live Geocaches straight to the unit
– Expedition Mode – can give up to 1 week of GPS Tracking
– Can pair with the inReach Mini Satellite Communicator to receive message alerts from the inReach or Activate messages to be sent from the inReach Mini
– The Wikiloc Trails of the World App is Pre-loaded, letting you search for and download walks in your area using Wifi directly to the unit
– Sync your Activities directly to the Garmin Mobile Connect or new Explorer Mobile App using Bluetooth
– Built-in LED Flashlight / SOS Beacon
VIP sign up – If you want to be kept up to date with everything as we approach the launch date of the GPSMAP66s you can sign up to become a VIP, I must stress this is free and you get –
1. The option to trade in your old unit.
2. Be kept up to date as more comes available on the Garmin GPSMAP66 GPS unit
3. GPS unit posted out to you on launch day, if you choose to purchase the GPS unit.
4. FREE ‘launch day’ live stream’ as we unbox as the GPS arrives with us.
4. Unit-specific webinar if you choose to purchase the GPS unit.
4. EXTRA – Weekly support and top tip newsletter solely about the GPSMAP66 GPS unit for the first four weeks.
To sign up to become a VIP click here.
2 – Interview with Mark from Mountain Rescue
I spoke to Mark from the Brecon Beacons Mountain Rescue a couple of weeks ago now, he was great company and that hopefully shows in the interview.
3 – Andy’s Top Tips
1. SatMap Active 12 or Active 20 remember if using the AA battery cradles to go into Settings – Advanced power control and make sure you change battery type from Lipol rechargeable to AA we recommend using AA Lithium
2. Garmin – Setup System Battery Type – must change when you using a different battery type – does not show when using Garmin rechargeable batteries, we recommend Good Quality Nimh Rechargeable 2300+ Eneloop Pro great as colder weather comes in or AA Lithium
4. The GPS Training Podcast competition
Last month we had our first ever GPS Training Podcast competition where you had the chance to with a Garmin Birdseye Voucher
The question was – At the start of August I was at a large event with Garmin. What was the event?
The answer was – Mega, a large Geocaching event
Thanks to everybody who entered the competition, we drew the winner just before we started recording and the winner is ……
We will drop you an email and get your details then get it in the post to you.
This month’s prize is a free case for a SatMap Active 20.
The question is – What do SatMap call their map card that includes the Ordnance Survey 1:10,000, 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 map sets on the same card?
Please just email your answer to – email@example.com
Closing date for the competition is the date of our next Podcast – 5th October.
7. And finally
– Many thanks for listening and let us know anything you would like to be covered in the Podcast, we made it to our eleventh Podcast.
– Give us a call especially if you are thinking of a new GPS unit
– Please do look a look at both our physical GPS courses and also our webinars, just go to GPSTaining.co.uk and click on – GPS Training courses
– Please do tell your friends about the podcast and GPS Training
– Don’t forget you can watch us recording the podcast on our facebook page – gpstraininguk – or on our YouTube Channel – GPSTraining
– AND don’t forget to RST our podcast –
R – Rate our Podcast on iTunes
S – Subscribe to our Podcast on whatever platform you listen to us on
and – T – tell a friend about both GPS Training and the GPS Training Podcast, please help us spread the word.
Many thanks for Andy joining me on this, the 13th episode of our GPS Training podcast.