Welcome to this month’s GPS training podcast
1. Today we have Jon, Andy and Ross
3. Andy, the reviewer, tech support and all round ‘geek’ (in a nice way) of GPS Training.
4. Ross, works for sales and distribution for SatMap
We are live streaming on Facebook
Again, we are streaming on Facebook the recording of us all recording the Podcast, so if you want to see what we all look like take a look at our Facebook page –
1. Just search for GPS Training on Facebook and don’t forget to ‘like’ our page.
2. A copy of our live stream is archived on Facebook so you can watch it until the end of time if you want to!
Feedback after last month’s webinar
Many thanks to everybody who sent us their feedback and thoughts after last month’s GPS Training Podcast.
1. James Dillion sent an e-mail saying enjoyed last month’s Podcast
2. Elaine Savage liked Andy’s top tip on the last podcast
Many thanks for all your feedback and ideas, please just drop us an e-mail or leave a ‘comment’ on our podcast feed if listening to it on our website
without further ado let’s get on with today’s webinar ……
In today’s webinar we are going to look and chat over the following –
1. An in depth look at SatMap, the story and the outdoor GPS units that they have developed over the years. A great story
2. 1:25k mapping option for a Garmin GPS and Topo Active, what is it?
3. Review of the Garmin eTrex 25 and 35
4. Top tips – both SatMap and Garmin
5. The GPS Training online resource – what is it – for both Garmin, SatMap and to a lesser extent Memory Map GPS unit
6. The big debate – GB What Mapping do we prefer OS 1:50k or 1:25k advantages, price, what will work best for us and the activities we are using the mapping for (Both Satmap & Garmin)
7. And finally, we will have a look at our courses we have coming up over the coming month
An in depth look at SatMap, the story and the units that they have developed over the years
1. How and by whom was SatMap founded?
• Founded in 2005
2. They really did take the market by storm and changed the Outdoor GPS market, what did Garmin bring to the ‘field’ in those early days.
• OS map on Outdoor GPS device
• Quality Colour Screen
• Great battery life
3. How have the SatMap units developed – SatMap Active 10, 12 and now 20
• Active 10 launched in 2007
• Active 12 launched in 2014, how was this different than the SatMap Active 10?
• Active 20 launched this year, 2017. This was a big change than the Active 10/12
4. The key thing about SatMap – the HD maps, what options are available?
5. We are not going to review the unit again in this podcast, listen to our first ever podcast if you want to hear this but what are the key benefits of the SatMap Active 20
Take a look on our website – gpstraining.co.uk – click on reviews and you will see an article SatMap active 20 – 3 months in
Now turning to Garmin – Lets look at the 1:25k mapping option for a Garmin GPS and specifically Topo Active, what is it?
1. Two options of mapping – Discoverer Premium and TOPO PRO
• What are the differences
2. Ways to buy 1:25k mapping for a Garmin
• Bundled in with unit on map card or Birdseye Voucher
• What is a Birdseye Voucher and how big an area can you download with it?
• If you do choose the Birdseye option we send you a step by step guide of how to do it and there are also videos in online resource.
Review of the Garmin eTrex 25 and 35
1. Where does the eTrex Touch range sit in the Garmin range?
2. Tell us a little about the eTrex range
• Multi activity GPS, and what do we mean by that?
• Small version of the Oregon 700 series
• Touch screen
• New generation GPS, and what do we mean by new generation?
3. What is the difference between the eTrex 25 and 35?
4. What do we think of the eTrex touch range of GPS units
5. We have reduced the eTrex Touch 25 from now to Christmas to £249.99 with full GB maps at 1:50k, what value with the map card alone worth £200.00.
Top tips – both SatMap and Garmin
1. Garmin top tip – Viewing your Birdseye Downloaded Maps or Topo Active maps that are installed on the memory of your GPS over the maps on a micro sd card
2. SatMap top tip – Using Hibernate function when you are stopped for a long lunch break
Don’t forget we have a new video section in our online resource (more about this in next section) but every week we release a video – top tips
The GPS Training online resource – what is it – for both Garmin, SatMap and to a lesser extent Memory Map GPS unit
– Quick history on the online resource, how and why did it come about
– Online videos and text to help you to get to grips with your unit
– Online videos and text to help you plan routes on your computer using either Garmin BaseCamp and also how to use SatSync for SatMap users
– Garmin and SatMap top tips – recent addition
– You can access it by going to gpstraining.co.uk and click on ‘online’ resource on the top menu bar or click ‘online resource’ top right of our homepage.
Get the online resource free for 1 year if you buy a unit from us or you can pay £25.00/ year
The big debate – What Mapping do we prefer OS 1:50k or 1:25k on our outdoor GPS units?
(Both Satmap & Garmin)
• What are the differences between each of these map sets, what do each of them show?
• Advantages of 1:50k, 1:25k and 1:10k (in the SatMap world)
• What will work best for us and the activities we are using the mapping for
• So what do each of us use on our GPS units?
What GPS Training courses do we have coming up?
Webinars, these are unit specific –
November 14th 2017 – Getting Started with your Garmin GPS – Oregon 700 series and eTrex Touch series
November 21st 2017 – Getting to Know Basecamp for Windows
December 5th 2017 – Getting to Know Basecamp for Windows
December 6th 2017 – Getting started with your Garmin GPS – Oregon 600 series, Montana series and GPSMAP64s
To finish off this our third podcast
– Many thanks for listening and let us know anything you would like to be covered in the Podcast
– Give us a call especially if you are thinking of a new GPS unit for Christmas for you or a friend, we have some great offers on the Oregon 700 with full GB maps (rrp £499.99 down to £399.99) and the eTrex Touch 25 with full GB maps and thanks for listening (rrp £339.99 down to £249.99), and of course we looked at this unit earlier in the podcast.
– Please do tell your friends about the podcast and GPS Training
– Sign up to our newsletter and keep up to date with everything
– Next month’s podcast – We will be in Mid-December so we will be looking reviewing and looking at the best Christmas presents for the four season walker.
– AND don’t forget the three R in relation to this podcast – Rate, Review and Subscribe