In today’s podcast we are going to look at the following –
- We have an interview with Mike Brockhurst who runs the website the ‘walking Englishman’.
- After our chat with Mike we look at downloading the ‘GPX route files from his site’, don’t worry if that sounds like a foreign language, it will all be explained.
- Andy’s top tips – both SatMap and Garmin
- And then finally we will look ‘Mad March’, what’s it all about?
1. Our interview with Mike Brockhurst, the walking Englishman –
I recording this interview with Mike last week and it exceeded all expectation, he had been on my radar for a little time now but only when I interviewed him for the GPS Training Podcast I realised what a truly inspirational story he has.
2. GPX files, what are they and how do we get them on our GPS unit?
After my chat with Mike we really need to explore in depth the .gpx files that we referred to in the interview.
- What is a .gpx file?GPX is as a common GPS data format used by GPS Devices and many software applications. It can include waypoints, tracks, and routes.
- Are these compatible with any outdoor GPS device?Yes with all the makes that we sell e.g. Garmin, Satmap, Memory Map.
- What other file formats will people come across when looking for ‘routes’ (which could be tracks) when online?There are other formats eg kml google earth, .fit watches, look for .GPX file for GPS device
- So back to .gpx and the Walking Englishman website how do we get these onto our GPS unit, both Garmin and SatMap?Click on GPX Route file and look in your downloads for file, majority named as trackfile.gpx some are mane of walk.gpx, Import to basecamp then send to unit, satmap satsysnc or with new Active 20 copy and paste
- What other websites or places can we source these .gpx files from? Search internet some we use www.gps-routes.co.uk, www.walkhighlands.co.uk
- How will we know if these .gpx files are routes or tracks, perhaps we should first explain the difference between the two before you tell us how to work out which they are?Route something you plan in software, track normally a recording of where someone has walked, in Garmin basecamp footprint icon shows track, 3 boxes joined together shows Route, SatMap puts in Routes folder.
- How do can we check they are on your unit.Garmin Where to magnifying glass, Where to, Find search Routes or Tracks, SatMap Turn unit on / off Main Menu – Routes Menu
Any tips you have when downloading .gpx files and getting then on your GPS unit?
Garmin number of via points check in Basecamp -Direct Route 250, Track 10,0000 or Oregon 7** series 20,0000, SatMap does not have same stipulation but we do tend to try and stick to under 250 x points otherwise can be slow to load, different websites sometimes have their own instructions for download i.e. Right click save as, save link as, any issues with website itself contact website owner, create folder on desktop to save gpx downloads to
- Andy’s top tips
- Garmin – eTrex Touch, Oregon 7** series when changing batteries – turn off – change batteries – turn on – use where to magnifying glass to check still navigating route etc, from map page swipe up – satellite signal far left – press start to restart recording.
- SatMap – Charging Active 20, large capacity 5000mah recommend turn off when charging and use genuine plug in mains rather than pc, will charge quicker.
3. Our Mad March offers from GPS Training
What is Mad March?
- As Easter is traditionally the start of the walking season we have a different offer each week in the lead up to Easter.Each of and these run from Thursday morning each week and not changes every week.
- This week we have a free Birdseye Voucher with any Garmin GPS unit with full GB OS maps at 1:50k maps.
- What is a Birdseye Voucher?
Download 3000 sq km of OS 1:25k, France IGN 1500 Sq km some other countries listed on our website under GPS Store – Garmin Mapping
You may be asking why is the Mad March offer only on Garmin GPS units, the answer is because they are funding it, we are Garmin’s largest indexes dent account so thankfully they look after us and our customers, but saying that SatMap have starting looking after us in the past month or two, but more about that in a future Podcast.
- On Thursday we start our third week of Mad March which is a free Silicone case with and Garmin eTrex Touch 25 or 35.
- Then the final week before Easter, don’t forget it’s early this year, we are giving away a free bike mount with and Garmin Oregon 700, 750 or 750t.
So please do make a note of these offers as each of them runs for just servers days, you can see all these ‘Mad March’ offers on our website just go to gpstraining.co.uk, click on news, then it is the second story down
4. To finish off podcast number 7
- Many thanks for listening and let us know anything you would like to be covered in the Podcast.
- Give us a call especially if you are thinking of a new GPS unit.
- Please do look a look at both our physical GPS courses and also our webinars, just go to GPSTaining.co.uk and click on – GPS Training courses.
- Please do tell your friends about the podcast and GPS Training.
- Don’t forget you can watch us recording the podcast on our facebook page – gpstraininguk – or on our YouTube Channel – GPSTraining.
- AND don’t forget to RST our podcast –
R – Rate our Podcast on iTunes
S – Subscribe to our Podcast on whatever platform you listen to us on
and – T – tell a friend about both GPS Training and the GPS Training Podcast, please help us spread the word.
Many thanks for Andy joining me on this, the 7th episode of our GPS Training podcast.