Going overseas, heading off-grid, birdseye, and transferring .gpx files onto a Garmin GPS watch.
In this month’s podcast
So, without a further a do let’s get on with this month’s GPS Training Podcast
1. Overseas mapping
It’s nice to be back on this subject after the last two years – Garmin units
OSM – Open Street/ Open-sourced maps – £19.99 – £29.99
– Very much like Garmin’s Topo Active maps – more here about TOPO ACTIVE maps v OS maps
– Great if overlaying a .gpx file, as walking a long-distance trail etc
Official maps – £73.99 – £138.99
– Garmin’s ‘official’ maps for each of the countries
– We usually get then in around 7 – 14 days
SatMap units – we are currently struggling to get overseas maps, but hopefully we will get a solution to this in the next few weeks, fingers crossed.
To find out more about the new GPS Store > Maps
2. Going off grid – and using the – inReach mini/ inReach mini 2
What are the inReach mini’s
Not just a SOS button
Already got a GPS device unit – what benefits does the inReach mini it give you
To find out more about the range of Garmin inReach mini devices please go to our website – GPSTraining.co.uk > GPS Store and then – Two-way satellite communication
3. The next thing on this month’s GPS Training Podcast – End or Garmin’s Birdseye Vouchers
4. The next thing we are going to look at on this months Podcast is how we can plan a long-distance walk and get the info onto your GPS watch
This subject and solution has come about after plenty of discussions in the GPS training office.
The problem, if you are walking a long distance trail and you want to download a .gpx file and edit it into your day sections what’s the best way to do this.
What is a .gpx file?
If you are using a handheld unit with OS maps how would you do this?
Why can’t you do this if you are a watch user?
So, the solution – BaseCamp with open-sourced maps on
Export .gpx file into Connect
To find out more and see the solution we have created some videos in the online resource – our online training platform. Please just go to gpstraining.co.uk > Click on Online resource, on the top menu bar. When you are on the online resource click on – Courses > GPX Library
5. The next thing on this month’s GPS Training Podcast is Andy’s top tips
– Units with Topo Active Maps – + you have OS maps
View maps in GB Maybe cycling or in city etc
Setup – Map – Configure Maps make sure any worldwide dem, Topo Active all enabled – touch screen, 66s coloured tab, disable any maps on micro card eg topo pro 1:50k, North Scotland, South Scotland, West England, East England North England
Etrex22/32 – Setup – Map – Map information
With Digital Maps Change Detail – Advanced Setup – Detail from Normal to higher level
NB If you are updating Topo Active Maps on etrex22/32/Touch, Montana 700i or 750i you will need a separate 16gb Card they can take several hours make sure computer sleep modes off
To find more top tips please do sign up for the GPS Training online resource, this is packed full of video top tips. Go to our website – gpstraining.co.uk and click on the – Online resource – on the top menu bar
Tel: 01669 621044